Issue 102 2018-04-12
Welcome to another issue of Haskell Weekly! Haskell is a safe, purely functional programming language with a fast, concurrent runtime. This is a weekly summary of what’s going on in its community.
Want to see something featured in Haskell Weekly? Open an issue or pull request on GitHub.
Cloud Haskell is a set of libraries that combines the power of Haskell’s type system with Erlang’s style of concurrency and distributed programming.
It seems that strictness is playing a dirty trick here, evaluating the second cons parameter beforehand against our interest, but strict evaluation is in the nature of PureScript.
There’s a kind fellow named lunaris on the FPChat slack channel that shares exceptionally good advice. Unfortunately, due to the ephemeral nature of Slack, a lot of this advice is lost to history.
Attempting to program a dynamic programming algorithm in Haskell has helped me understand the fundamental principles behind dynamic programming in a way that I wasn’t able to when I learned it from an imperative programming perspective.
The Spock web framework for Haskell gives you a light but complete foundation to build web servers on, be it for traditional server-side rendered applications, or APIs for single-page applications.
What I am going to do is tell you a little about myself, my programming journey, and why I enjoy programming in Haskell. Hopefully it will encourage you to try it out and witness your own joy with the language.
This article doesn’t require any special functional programming techniques and can be replicated everywhere, but using a functional programming language makes this easier.
I was playing around with
recursion-schemes, which is pretty cool. It’s very nice to be able to define interpreters like this, so my immediate thought was: can we do this for the lambda-calculus?
We are a relatively small community, but we’re maybe a little chatty, maybe have a little too much free time waiting for something to compile. Hence we are engaged in near constant internecine war over build tools and the like.
I’ve been working in a few projects at a time in Haskell for the past year, and one point that has been dragging is how much time it takes for a CI job to finish, given this, I started to experiment with other solutions to improve my build feedback loop.
ITPro.TV is a fast-growing digital media business that focuses on continuing education in technical domains. We are currently accepting applications for full-stack software professionals to join our small but talented multidisciplinary team.
Come write Haskell, Rust, and Nix (and some C++ when necessary) to make autonomous robots and drones go! If you like FP, interfacing with hardware, and solving problems in detection, tracking, and autonomous vehicle control, send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Coalescing composite as a monoid
- Function pipeline monoid
- How to compile Haskell to LLVM in 14 simple steps
- IHaskell on CoCalc!
- Next up on MMH!
Package of the week
This week’s package of the week is packcheck, a script for universal build and CI testing of Haskell packages.
Call for participation
- haskanoid: Bump version constraint in dependency on Yampa
- Haskero: Support for case when root project dir is parent of the Stack project
- hledger: Sorting by account codes isn’t working with single-column balance report
- April 12: Why do Functional Programmers always talk about Algebras? in Bellevue, Washington, United States
- April 13: Going through Software Foundations by Benjamin Pierce in Austin, Texas, United States
- April 14: Hang && (Maybe Hack) in Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
- April 15: Tokyo Haskell April meetup in Tokyo, Japan
- April 16: Type-driven Development with Idris in Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom
- April 17: What is a Monad? Learning Monads Without Analogies in Carmel, Indiana, United States
- April 18: Self-paced Haskell Study Group in Dublin, Ireland
- April 25: Getting started with testing in Haskell in Gainesville, Florida, United States
- April 27-29: BayHac 2018 in San Francisco, California, United States