Issue 129 2018-10-18
Welcome to another issue of Haskell Weekly! Haskell is a safe, purely functional programming language with a fast, concurrent runtime. This is a weekly summary of what’s going on in its community.
The GHC team is pleased to announce the availability of GHC 8.4.4, a patch-level release in the 8.4 series. This release fixes several bugs present in 8.4.3.
Today we’re releasing the first version of Aelve Guide — an informal wiki for the Haskell ecosystem and community. It’s written in Haskell, too.
In this post we’ll explore Haskell’s kind system, the similarities between types and kinds, and show how these can be leveraged to write safer and more reusable code.
We suppose all programming languages have the occasional wat, some function or behavior that is surprising and makes you think, “wait, what?”
How to use the applicative functor capabilities of lists to create a password list, with examples that object-oriented programmers can understand.
If you have a function from any set to itself, then a fixpoint of that function is any input that maps to itself.
I have always thought Haskell is this far-out, esoteric, academic language that no one uses.
In this recipe we’ll work through some common testing strategies and provide examples of utilizing these testing strategies in order to test Servant applications.
Here, I will supply what I consider to be the fastest way to get up and running with Haskell — it’s opinionated, and I’m sure you’ll want to tweak and improve on it as you learn more.
Do you wish you could do IO from any monad transformer stack, including those stacks that do not have IO at the base?
- Dhall 3.0.0 released
- ESCRIPT: A human readable language for programming Bitcoin scripts
- Formality: An efficient programming language featuring formal proofs
- GHC proposal: Simple constrained type families
- Granule: A statically typed functional language with graded modal types
- Hackett: A metaprogrammable Haskell (video)
- Haskell Refactor: A lightweight Vi plugin
- Monday Morning Haskell blog archive
- Notes on test coverage
- Reverse mode differentiation is kind of like a lens
- Smos: Writing a purely functional semantic editor
- Stack 1.9.1 released
- Total combinations
- Trading FunLists at a Bazaar with Yoneda
Package of the week
This week’s package of the week is Pipes, a clean and powerful stream processing library that lets you build and connect reusable streaming components.
Call for participation
- 2018-10-18 in Durham, NC, USA by Durham Haskell Meetup: Morning Haskell (and Rust!) coding session
- 2018-10-18 in Las Vegas, NV, USA by Las Vegas Functional Programming User Group: Functional Programming Meetup
- 2018-10-18 in Raleigh, NC, USA by Raleigh Haskell Meetup: (hack . yack)
- 2018-10-20 in Bellevue, WA, USA by Seattle Area Haskell Users’ Group: General discussion
- 2018-10-20 in Boston, MA, USA by Weekly Functional Programming Meetup: Hang out, chat FP, work on some code
- 2018-10-20 in Chilliwack, BC, Canada by ChilliHask Haskell User Group: Weekly Haskell Coding Meetup
- 2018-10-22 in Irvine, CA by Orange Combinator - Functional Programming In OC: Combinating - The Weekly Function
- 2018-10-22 in Plano, TX, USA by Dallas Functional Programmers: Elm Hack Night
- 2018-10-23 in Milwaukee, WI, USA by Milwaukee Functional Programming User Group: Meet the Meetups II - MKE’s Largest Tech Gathering
- 2018-10-23 in Vancouver, BC, Canada by Vancouver Functional Programmers: Haskell Lunch Study Group • Fall ’18 Cohort (new group)
- 2018-10-24 in New York, NY, USA by New York Haskell Users Group: Parsing parsed parsables, from music to megaparsec
- 2018-10-24 in Portland, OR, USA by Portland Functional Programming Study Group: PDX Func Theory Track - Logic and Proof
- 2018-10-24 in Sandy, UT, USA by Utah Elm: TBA
- 2018-10-25 in Cambridge, MA, USA by Categorical Databases: Intro to Categorical Databases
- 2018-10-25 in Philadelphia, PA, USA by Elm Philadelphia: 🎃A Nightmare on Elm Meetup 🎃
- 2018-10-25 in São Paulo, Brazil by Lambda I/O Sampa: Clojure - Desenvolvimento interativo: do DB ao frontend. Lambda I/O
- 2018-10-22 in Karlsruhe, Germany by Karlsruhe Haskell Meetup: Haskell Monday
- 2018-10-22 in Ljubljana, Slovenia by Ljubljana Lambdas: Ljubljana Lambdas October 2018
- 2018-10-24 in Bristol, United Kingdom by Bristol Clojurians: Clojure Study Group
- 2018-10-24 in Gothenburg, Sweden by Got.λ - Göteborg Functional Programming Group: Functional thinking: two refactoring exercises in Purescript and Haskell
- 2018-10-25 in Zürich, Switzerland by HaskellerZ: Roman Kashitsyn - Embracing the Failure
- 2018-10-21 in 東京都, Japan by Tokyo Haskell Meetup: October, 2018
- 2018-10-22 in Sydney, Australia by Sydney Type Theory: Homotopy Type Theory
- 2018-10-24 in Delhi, India by DelhiNCR Haskell And Functional Programming Languages Group: FPNCR Unscripted Online meetup
- 2018-10-25 in Melbourne, Australia by Melbourne Haskell Users Group: Melbourne Haskell Users Group Meetup