Welcome to another issue of Haskell Weekly! Haskell is a safe, purely functional programming language with a fast, concurrent runtime. This is a weekly summary of what’s going on in its community.
The Little Typer Interview by Adam Gordon Bell
You can write more correct software and even rigorous mathematical proofs. Let’s learn about dependent types with Dan and David.
It is the second edition of a Haskell summer school in Poznań, Poland. This time we have three tracks and as usual great speakers. The CFP is open and we have a scholarship program for people from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Almost time by Julie Moronuki
We are excited to announce that a new course, Timepieces, will be beginning next week. This course is going to be about building basically the same project, a native GUI clock app, with different libraries so we can compare them.
Building terminal user interfaces in Haskell by Robert Bobbett
In this month’s webinar, Tom Sydney Kerckhove will demonstrate just how easy it is to get started with Terminal User Interfaces (TUIs). As a recap, TUIs are text-based user interfaces for use from a terminal.
Anyone who has written or used one of these libraries will know that despite the authors’ best efforts, there are still many occasions where a wall of text jumps out, leaving us puzzled as to what went wrong.
Introduction to state machine testing: Part 3 by Andrew McMiddlin
We’re going to look at why Hedgehog required our state and input types to be parameterized on a type constructor, what the
Concretetypes are all about, and why we need
HTraversableinstances for our inputs.
Laziness quiz by Matt Parsons
Do you understand laziness? It’s okay if you don’t. Most people don’t. It can be somewhat surprising when something actually gets evaluated in Haskell, even when you’re using bang patterns.
Lens by Example: Writing traversals by Chris Penner
Most lens tutorials show you how to use and compose traversals, but most skim over how to write complex traversals. Let’s dive in!
Moving to GitLab by Ben Gamari
A few weeks ago I wrote to this list proposing that we consider moving GHC’s development infrastructure to GitLab. While the original proposal provided a small test instance to play with, it wasn’t complete enough to use in earnest.
Mercury is a bank for tech startups. We’re building a product that will power the future of American industry. This turns out to be pretty ambitious for a team of eight, so we’re bringing one more product-minded engineer on board to help us achieve it.
We’d be very happy to host a motivated student, who is keen to improve our compiler for the functional logic programming language Curry in terms of performance.
- Building network actors with Enecuum Node Framework
- CFP: LambdaConf 2019
- Idris 2: Type-driven development of Idris
- Discussion about “Maybe Not” by Rich Hickey
- MIRI’s newest recruit: Edward Kmett!
- Monthly Hask Anything
- Programming Language Foundations in Agda
- Simplicity: High-assurance smart contracting
- Summoner 1.2.0: TUI and better scaffolding
Package of the week
This week’s package of the week is
a library that provides non-empty variants of
containers data types.
Call for participation
- bugsnag-haskell: Integration testing
- hledger: print can show unbalanced transactions with a commodity directive
- 2018-12-06 in Durham, NC, USA by Durham Haskell Meetup: Morning Haskell (and Rust!) coding session
- 2018-12-06 in Raleigh, NC, USA by Raleigh Haskell Meetup: (hack . yack)
- 2018-12-06 in Austin, TX, USA by Austin Haskell Users Group: Haskell Beginner-Friendly Lab
- 2018-12-07 in Gainesville, FL, USA by Gainesville functional programming: Holiday Meetup Party
- 2018-12-08 in Chilliwack, BC, Canada by ChilliHask Haskell User Group: Weekly Haskell Coding Meetup
- 2018-12-08 in Norcross, GA, USA by Norcross Haskathon: Norcross Haskathon
- 2018-12-08 in Boston, MA, USA by Weekly Functional Programming Meetup: Hang out, chat FP, work on some code
- 2018-12-10 in Irvine, CA by Orange Combinator - Functional Programming In OC: Combinating - The Weekly Function
- 2018-12-11 in San Francisco, CA, USA by Bay Area Haskell Users Group: Haskell talks at Formation
- 2018-12-12 in Montréal, QC, Canada by Lambda Montreal: Richard Kallos presents: An introduction to the Pony programming language
- 2018-12-13 in Las Vegas, NV, USA by Las Vegas Functional Programming User Group: Functional Programming Meetup
- 2018-12-06 in Graz, Austria by Functional Programming Graz: Functional Programming Meetup
- 2018-12-06 in London, United Kingdom by Skills Matter - X Matters Series - Free Developer Events: Mobile Matters with Paul Hudson!
- 2018-12-07 in Ljubljana, Slovenia by Ljubljana Lambdas: Ljubljana Lambdas December 2018
- 2018-12-08 in Berlin, Germany by Study Haskell: Weekly Haskell-studying session
- 2018-12-10 in Karlsruhe, Germany by Karlsruhe Haskell Meetup: Haskell Monday
- 2018-12-12 in Berlin, Germany by Berlin Haskell Users Group: Haskell Wednesday
- 2018-12-12 in Rapperswil, Switzerland by HaskellerZ: Safe programming in Industry, Testing in Haskell (Guest Lecture at the HSR)
- 2018-12-12 in Prague, Czech Republic by Prague Lambda Meetup: Clojure Wednesday - Xmas edition
- 2018-12-12 in Sophia-Antipolis, France by Lambda Riviera: Higher Order Function in Spark SQL
- 2018-12-12 in Copenhagen, Denmark by Mødegruppe for F#unktionelle Københavnere: [Lorenzo López]: Lenses for the mere mortal
- 2018-12-12 in Göteborg, Sweden by Got.λ - Göteborg Functional Programming Group: Lightning talk and Advent of Code
- 2018-12-13 in Zürich, Switzerland by HaskellerZ: Scala eXchange London
- 2018-12-13 in Brno, Czech Republic by Functional Programming Brno: Scala eXchange London 2018 (2 free tickets)
- 2018-12-13 in London, United Kingdom by Hoodlums: Hoodlums Meetup
- 2018-12-13 in London, N1 0QH, United Kingdom by London Functional Programmers: Scala eXchange @Skills Matter
- 2018-12-06 in Gurugram, India by DelhiNCR Haskell And Functional Programming Languages Group: FPNCR Monthly meetup
- 2018-12-06 in Singapore, Singapore by HASKELL.SG: December Singapore Haskell Meetup
- 2018-12-09 in Bangalore, India by Bangalore Functional Programmers Meetup: Nonstrictness in Haskell
- 2018-12-13 in Bangkok, Thailand by Bangkok Functional Programmers: Christmas Code War “World Cup of Code”/“ศึกเขียนโค๊ดแห่งปี”
- 2018-12-13 in Hong Kong, Hong Kong by Hong Kong Functional Programming: A Road to Dependently Typed Haskell Core: Coercion Quantification